Looking for a tasty yet simple Italian side dish? Look no further than our chef’s peppers in tomato sauce. This dish can be enjoyed hot or cold depending on the season and goes well with meat courses.
Ingredients for whipping up a quick peppers in tomato sauce with a twist:
- 2 stuffed pepper from our butcher counter
- 3 tbsp olive oil ‘ogliarol evo roi’ – available in our market
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 tin of polpa di pomodoro cubettata ‘antonella’ (Antonella’s diced tomato pulp) – available in our market
- 6 basil leaves
- focaccia genovese – available from our bakery
Preheat the oven to 180°c, gas mark 4. season the peperone with salt and 1 spoon of olive oil and arrange it in a casserole pan.
In a pan, pan fry onion, a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of oil, stirring regularly, for 2 minutes and then add the passata di pomodoro. leave to cook for 10-12 minutes on low heat. once ready add 4 leaves of basil.
Bake the peperone for 15 minutes until it feels soft with a fork.
Serve the peperone on a bed of tomato sauce and warm focaccia, garnish with 2 leaves of basil and tablespoon of olive oil.